Wednesday, October 19, 2011

taking things for granted

After a long hiatus from blogging, I'm compelled to write this tonight. Most of you who read this know that I dislocated my shoulder (again) on Saturday while I was working. So here I sit, typing with my left hand while my right is in a sling.

It seems to me we don't always appreciate things, big or small, until they are taken away from us (or are nearly taken).

Here's a list in no particular order of things that I now have difficulty doing that I have taken for granted.

typing, using a mouse, writing (I'm right-handed), tying my shoes, fastening my pants (button, zipper, and belt), driving (it's hard to change gears and to start the car, closing the passenger door, accessing my right pockets, opening child-proof medicine bottles, doing laundry, folding clothes, brushing my teeth, shaving (can't stretch the skin to get a closer shave), cooking, stirring stuff, taking things out of the oven, using a can opener, taping a shipping label on a package, playing video games, opening containers, getting comfortable, showering (while trying to keep the sling dry)

Surely there are more I can't think of right now. That leads to a bigger question, though. What things are you taking for granted in your everyday lives? The air you breathe? The fact that you can breathe? Your safety? Your health? Your job? Your God?

God, although I'm not fond of my situation, thanks for reminding me to be thankful!

1 comment:

  1. What a great thought for today! Thanks so much for taking the time to tap this all out with one hand. Wish we were a bit closer so we could help out!

    ReplyDelete