Thursday, November 17, 2011

Killing Time

Last Tuesday, I had an appointment to get the oil changed and no other concrete plans, but I did have a few other things I wanted to do. You know, important things like picking up Modern Warfare 3 (which had come out that day), going to the chiropractor due to tightness in my lower back, and the possibility of meeting with my friend Michael for Bible study. With that possibility looming, I really didn't want to drive all the way home only to turn around and drive to Granger, so I went in a few stores to pass some time.

While I was in Dollar Tree, Alyssa came in and said hi to me. My favorite memory of Alyssa is that when she was in jr. high, I used to drive her crazy--picking on her by raising only one eyebrow. (I was a jr. high small group leader at the time.) But I digress... As we talked, she asked what I was doing? Without a lot of thought, I said, "Killing time... waiting for surgery." For those who may not be aware, I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery at the end of the month, after I've been off work since my latest dislocation 10/15. Now, some time off is good, but I'd much rather be working than have all this time off due to this physical injury. Still, if those words didn't hit me as soon as they came out of my mouth, it wasn't long for the gravity of what I had said to sink in.  "Killing time... waiting for surgery."

As if the twenty-one (plus) days are a waste of my life. As if there is nothing productive (physically or spiritually) that I can do until surgery.
Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV
Here's something I found on specifically on verse 16, as other translations substitute "redeeming the time" for "making the most of every opportunity":
Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Redeeming the time - The word rendered here as "redeeming," means "to purchase; to buy up" from the possession or power of anyone; and then to redeem, to set free - as from service or bondage; notes, Galatians 3:13. Here it means, to rescue or recover our time from waste; to improve it for great and important purposes.

The problem is in the mindset! My time is not my own, as my life is not my own. I CANNOT live according to my flesh in such a way that I feel like such a length of time is to be wasted! This has greater ramifications than just that, though. How can I, going forward, spend so much time and money feeding the flesh?

No comments:

Post a Comment