Monday, February 28, 2011

A month without pop.

Today is the last day of February. Over a month ago, I decided to cut out pop for the month of February. This was not a fast (this post would defeat the purpose of that if it was) or something for Lent. I just decided on a whim to see if I could go a month without any pop, so I decided with only 28 days (most years), February would be the easiest. Before I started, I (publicly) challenged my brother to join me, which he did begrudgingly.

A month without pop doesn't seem like much until you consider how saturated our culture is with those carbonated beverages. Nearly every value meal includes one, and there aren't many stores/restaurants that don't carry them. Soft drinks of the fountain variety are a huge moneymaker for the vendor. A lot of sit-down restaurants charge around $2 for a drink that probably costs them less than $0.25. Regardless, soft drinks often are also a source of too much sugar and caffeine for the consumer.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, how readily pop is available... Like many people, I stock up on pop when it is on sale. And no, in spite of advertisements trying to tell me otherwise, 3 12 packs for $11 is NOT "on sale." :o] Because I have it on hand, I've found it really easy to just grab one for work but then end up drinking another in the evening.

That said, I didn't have too much trouble going without pop. It was a good exercise in willpower. I really didn't experience additional headaches, other than my usual weekend one, either. My brother, on the other hand, who was likely more addicted than I, therefore had more trouble. I think we're both glad we did it, and he's expressed something about continuing for 3 more days to have a full 31 in. Me? Nah, I'm going to enjoy the best U.S. pop tomorrow--  a McDonald's Coke.

Still, I've also been thinking I need to start exercising more (and to quit making excuses for not doing so). I look forward to warmer weather, which will be awesome for riding bike. I think I'll also check out craigslist or garage sales for some sort of home gym too.

2 comments:

  1. If you do end up getting some sort of home gym/work out equipment, I would be very interested in figuring out some sort of workout plan together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time i see the link to this post from my page i see, "a month without poop."

    ReplyDelete