Monday, February 14, 2011

Crappy Valentine's Day!

I think Valentine's Day is a joke of a day. I do not write this out of bitterness due to my relationship status. When I've been in relationships in the past, I felt the same way. Valentine's Day is a lame and pathetic reason to show your love and appreciation for your spouse or significant other. This should be done throughout the year because we want to, not because we feel obligated due to this marketing that has been shoved down our throats every January/February since we can remember!

Think about it... who wants to pay $70 for a dozen roses during a one-week period when they're a max $30 the rest of the year? Ridiculous! Want to know what my mom paid in Bolivia for a dozen roses??? About $1 US. Oh, and you may not want to go anywhere nice to eat on 2/14, because everyone else is doing that too.

Who benefits from this day? Off the top of my head, it would be the flower industry (if you can call it that), candy (especially chocolate) makers, jewelry stores, hotels, online dating sites, Hallmark and other card companies, and people who work in these lines.

What's wrong with this? One thing would be unfair expectations/pressure. No joke, I was in a relationship where the woman knew my strong feelings about the bs nature of the day in question and said she understood, but then she was still upset when I didn't do anything that day! Nevermind the fact that she was many states away and was unable to do anything that day anyway.

This all being said, put your hopes, dreams, sense of meaning/purpose/belonging/worth in the Eternal One, Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment