Monday, March 14, 2011

Looking for more...

I've got to say it. I'm getting pretty sick of it... What am I getting sick of? At the moment, it's all the hullabaloo about what Rob Bell believes, what people think of him, and all the wannabe theologians writing reviews of Bell's latest book or interview. Oh, and all the commentary about American Idol and the Bachelor. During football season, it's reading all the posts about football on Saturdays and Sundays.

Don't get me wrong. I like Rob Bell. I like the Nooma videos I've watched. I used to enjoy American Idol. I like football. I like Notre Dame and da Bears. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with these things. I think what bugs me about these things is how common, how fleshly these things are. I'm looking for more...

I want to see people passionate about Him, "seeking first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness." I want my brothers and sisters to wake up and realize that spiritual gifts were not only for the first century--but that according to Paul, they're something to desire and seek. I desire to see healing (emotional and physical) take place in order that His name be glorified. I long to see reconciliation and forgiveness take place where they need to. And I also really want to see the Church: a) unified in Christ, putting aside petty differences, and b) follow Christ's instruction mandate to "...make disciples of all nations... teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

1 comment: