Monday, November 15, 2010

Insecurities

My job is delivering mail to roughly 500 businesses and families. Sometimes my job provides me with funny stories, some of which I've chronicled on my FB page. Other times, I encounter things that make me think. Today I had such an encounter.

I had to go to the door of a customer's house to deliver a package this morning around 11. When I rang the doorbell, the woman of the house answered the door with her child. The woman, who is attractive and married, seemed somewhat embarrassed that she had not gotten around yet and remarked, "You always seem to catch me in my pajamas. I'm kinda under the weather today. Normally I'm not this lazy."

Did she have any reason to be ashamed/embarrassed/insecure? No. She did not appear immodest. Did it matter what I or anyone else thought of her? No!

So what's the point? In the same way, it does not matter what others think of us--only what God thinks of us. See Romans 8:1-25. If we are being led by the Spirit, we are the sons of God... There is such richness in this. I don't have any kids, but I can still imagine having the love of a father, wanting the best for his child and that the child grow to maturity... but most of all just loving the child because of or for who the child is! Nor are we bound to follow the flesh. Another awesome verse is 1 Samuel 16:7, which says, "But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"

Is there something about your outward appearance or circumstances that you are ashamed of? Check your heart. Find the freedom that He gives.

2 comments:

  1. it's hard for a female... God created us to want to be beautiful... for some it's easy to be beautiful on the inside... for some it's easy to be beautiful on the outside... and for those same people it may be difficult to be beautiful in the opposite... but God did give us the desire to be beautiful "both ways"... but, yes... i agree to "checking your heart and finding the freedom that God gives :)"

    ReplyDelete